Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Excerpts from "Plank Road Explorer"


Available soon.

by Henry Marvin, Webbs Mills, New York 1873-1874

©2011 All rights reserved
to be released October 2011 - more info

February, Sunday 1, 1874
I stayed at home all day. John and Lib Flynn and Early & John Kile was here & Bell Patterson was here. Tim was here.

February, Monday 2, 1874
I went to school all day and at nite went to bed as usual. I killed Dave McWhorter’s dog. He was up here last night killing sheep.



February, Tuesday 3, 1874
I went to school all day and at nite I went to spelling school and up to Helme’s to a sociable and stayed a little while and come home. There was about 20 there.

February, Wednesday 4, 1874
I went to school all day and at nite I went down and helped Ed unload a load of bark & then went to the Burg. Sam went home today.

February, Thursday 5, 1874
I went to school all day and at nite I went to the store. There was a donation to Abe Breese’s house tonite.

February, Friday 6, 1874
I went to school all day and at nite I went to the Burg.
Henry Marvin
Webbs Mills,
Chemung County

February, Saturday 7, 1874
I stayed at home in the forenoon and cut logs and in the afternoon I went down and helped Ed unload a load of bark and then we come back and went up to [Rufus] Tanner’s and got a load of wood and took it down to Aunt Julia’s and at nite I went up to Sam Miller’s to a dance. I got home at one o’clock.

February, Sunday 8, 1874
I stayed at home all day and at nite I went down to Ed McConnell’s. Charley Pierce come here to work.

February, Monday 9, 1874
I went to school all day and at nite I went to the Burg.

February Tuesday 10, 1874
I went to school all day and at nite I went up to the schoolhouse to spelling school. They stabbed it at me like God sake. Father discharged Charley today. Bill Miller come here tonite to work.

February Wednesday 11, 1874
I went to school all day and at nite I went to the store.

February, Thursday 12, 1874
I went to school all day and at nite I went up to the schoolhouse to a lecture.

February, Friday 13, 1874
I went to school all day and at nite we had a Dance here. There was about 50 here. I went up and got Sarah Manroe. She stayed all nite.

February, Saturday 14, 1874
I stayed at home all day and at nite I went up to the schoolhouse to a spelling school. Sarah went home tonite 1-1-1- Lyme was here and stayed all nite.

February, Sunday 15, 1874
I went to town and got Jane and Alex and the baby. Tim was here.

February Wednesday 16, 1874
I went to school all day and at night I went to the Burg.

February, Thursday 17, 1874
I went to school all day, and at nite I went up to the schoolhouse to spelling school. I come home. There was not many there to nite. Ed come here to work today.

No comments:

Post a Comment