Search This Blog

Thursday, March 29, 2012

excerpts from Plank Road Explorer by Henry Marvin, 1873 Webbs Mills, New York

plank road explorer
More info
Copyright © 2012 New York History Review. All rights reserved.


November, Saturday 1, 1873
I went to town with Father. I went to Ed’s and to Lyme’s. I got me a new suit of close [clothes].


November, Sunday 2, 1873
I went a-hunting in the forenoon and in the afternoon I went up to George’s with Lyme. I come down as far as the Tanner’s and then I went back to [the] meeting up to the schoolhouse.


November, Monday 3, 1873
I stayed at home all day and husked oats. Father went to town. At nite I went to the store.





November, Tuesday 4, 1873
I stayed at home all day and drawed pumpkins and at nite I went up to John’s and took him home. Father went to Election.


November, Wednesday 5, 1873
I stayed at home all day and picked stone. Father went to town. I went to the Burg at nite.


November, Thursday 6, 1873
I stayed at home all day and drawed manure. Father went down to Aunt Julia’s.


November, Friday 7, 1873
I stayed at home all day and drawed manure and plowed and picked stone. Father went up to Wells’ to work on the dam.


November, Saturday 8, 1873
I stayed at home all day and drawed stone and at nite I went to the store. I went to the store. Father worked on the dam.


November, Sunday 9, 1873
I stayed at home all day. Ed was here.


November, Monday 10, 1873
I stayed at home all day and drawed manure and corn stalks. Petey was here to work.


November, Tuesday 11, 1873
I stayed at home all day and drawed manure and corn stalks. At nite I went to John’s to work.


November, Wednesday 12, 1873
I stayed here all day and cut logs. Mr. Robbins helped me.


November, Thursday 13, 1873
I stayed here and sawed logs. Mr. Robbins helped me.


November, Friday 14, 1873
I stayed here and sawed logs all day. John helped me.


November, Saturday 15, 1873
I worked half a day and in the afternoon I went home and got the gun. John went to Waverly.


November, Sunday 16, 1873
I went a-hunting. I killed nothing.


November, Monday 17, 1873
I stayed here and made a r--d and drawed out wood.


November, Tuesday 18, 1873
I stayed here all day and cut wood and husked corn in the forenoon and in the afternoon I went a-hunting. John come to nite.


November, Wednesday 19, 1873
I come home to day and this afternoon I cut logs and wood.


November, Thursday 20, 1873
I stayed at home all day and cut logs and wood.


November, Friday 21, 1873
I stayed at home all day and cut wood and logs.


November, Saturday 22, 1873
I stayed at home all day and cut wood and at nite I went to the store and and up to Elake’s. Ed come up home and stayed all nite. His wife has gone up home. Susie and Jim went with her.


November, Sunday 23, 1873
I stayed at home all day. I went a-hunting a little while at nite. I went down home with Ed.


November, Monday 24, 1873
School commenced today. Our teacher’s name is Pild. I went to the store at nite and Ed come home with me. He stayed all nite.


November, Tuesday 25, 1873
I went to school. Ed worked here today. Father went to town.


November, Wednesday 26, 1873
I went to school. Peter drawed logs.


November, Thursday 27, 1873
I stayed at home all day and cut logs.


November, Friday 28, 1873
I went to school. At nite I went to the Burg. Later went up to John’s.


November, Saturday 29, 1873
I stayed at home all day and cut logs in the forenoon. I went a-hunting. I killed a partridge. Jessie & Bill Criss come here and helped kill a bull.


November, Sunday 30, 1873
I went a-hunting with Peter and Father. Father killed a partridge.


December, Monday 1, 1873
I went to school. It snowed all day.


December, Tuesday 2, 1873
I went to school. I took a load of wood to Aunt Julia’s. Lyme was here and stayed all nite.


December, Wednesday 3, 1873
I went to school. Lyme was here and worked a half day. I went a-hunting a little while at nite.


December, Thursday 4, 1873
I went to school. Peter drawed wood and stone.


December, Friday 5, 1873
I went to school. Lyme was here got a load of stone. I went to the Burg at nite.


December, Saturday 6, 1873
I stayed at home all day and cut wood. Father and Mother went to town. I went to the Burg at nite.


December, Sunday 7, 1873
I went a-hunting a little while. We got a rabbit. Tim was here. I went a-skating a little while.


December, Monday 8, 1873
I went to school. Father went to town.


December, Tuesday 9, 1873
I went to school. Father went to town.


December, Wednesday 10, 1873
I went to school and at nite I went up to the schoolhouse to a spelling school. Lyme and Charlie Pierce was here and stayed all nite.


December, Thursday 11, 1873
I went to school. Lyme and Charlie worked here all day.


December, Friday 12, 1873
I went to school all day and at nite I went to the Burg. Father went to town. Peter quit work here today.


December, Saturday 13, 1873
I drawed lumber all day. I drawed three loads home from the mill and two up to U.B Dann.


December, Sunday 14, 1873
I stayed at home all day and at nite I went to Ed’s and stayed a little while.


December, Monday 15, 1873
I went to school all day. The teacher offered a present to the [student] who would have the most credits.


December, Tuesday 16, 1873
I went to school all day and then at nite I went up to spelling school.


December, Wednesday 17, 1873
I went to school all day. Miss Hill and Miss Huntley was here today.


December, Thursday 18, 1873
I went to school all day.


December, Friday 19, 1873
I went to school all day.


December, Saturday 20, 1873
In the forenoon I drawed wood and in the afternoon I cut wood. Father went to town. He took Covel’s horse home.


December, Sunday 21, 1873
I went a-hunting. I got a rabbit. In the afternoon I went to the store ------- a fine time alone.


December, Monday 22, 1873
I went to school all day.


December, Tuesday 23, 1873
I went to school all day and at nite I went up to the schoolhouse to spelling school. Lafe Bailey come here to work to nite.


December, Wednesday 24, 1873
I went to school all day and at nite I went to the Burg.


December, Thursday 25, 1873
In the forenoon I went a-hunting and in the afternoon I cut logs. John and Lib and Sam & Early & Aunt Julia & Libbie was here. At nite I went up to John’s to a dance.


December, Friday 26, 1873
I went to school all day. Lafe drawed out headin for M.B. Dann or [U.B.?]


December, Saturday 27, 1873
I and Lafe went over to John’s --- and took Frank Hall’s cow[?] home. We went a-horse back.


December, Sunday 28, 1873
I stayed at home all day and at nite Lafe and I went a-riding. Lyme and Jane was here and stayed all nite.


December, Monday 29, 1873
I went to school all day. Lafe drawed logs. Father went to town. Lyme and Charley was here and stayed all nite. I went to the store at nite.


December, Tuesday 30, 1873
I went to school all day. I went up to Criss’s and got a big kettle for to kill hogs. I went down to Dave’s and helped kill turkeys.


December, Wednesday 31, 1873
I stayed at home all day and killed hogs. Lyme and Charley and Bill Teneyck helped us. I went to the store at nite.


Available as a paperback book
Publisher: New York History Review Press

No comments:

Post a Comment